Thursday, May 29, 2008

Saving Money At the Pump

Joyce Pinson Kentucky Insurance Agent

Gas prices hitting Kentuckians in the Pocketbook



Is it just me or is gas prices spilling over into all aspects of our lives? For instance, at the grocery store I am used to the shelves being stocked to biblical proportions "heaped up, pressed down, and running over." Not only are the shelves not stocked, they are on the verge of "empty" on many items. Ask store management, and they tell you vendors stock less frequently due to fuel costs. Not only are the shelves less than overflowing, but prices are going up, up, up. It's a pinch on the pocketbook!



At our Kentucky insurance office  we are seeing more of our office pays take advantage of our Internet online pay options. I miss seeing some of them, but again it's more economical to pay online, than drive to our office.



On the home front, we have been building. Costs of lumber is going up, chiefly due to fuel expenses. Materials are not even delivered "as needed," now they wait until they have a full load. Yes, I understand the fuel economy but when you have contractors with no materials, it is no economy for me.Whaaa!



So what can I do to economize my fuel costs and make consumption more efficient?




  • Check your tires to make sure they are inflated properly.

  • On pretty days, lay off the air conditioner. Roll down your car windows and let the breeze blow your hair. Forget about your dignity! Buy a comb.

  • Combine trips. I have been amazed how many gallons of gas I have saved by running all my errands at once. Not only does it save gas, it saves me time...something I have precious little of!

  • My metro friends in Lexington  and   Louisville,  avoid traffic snarls and lots of stopping and starting. Take the back way. Get off the expressway...if you are travelling over 60 mph you are wasting fuel anyway.

  • Get a tune up. Make sure your vehicle is in tip-top running condition for best fuel efficiency.

  • This one surprised me, but empty out your trunk if you are carrying allot of "extra baggage." The more you carry, the more energy you expend.




Are you a visual person? Check out this site which has an interactive car graphic that allows you to analyze all parts of your car and see what you can do to save your Kentucky gas dollars.



Other resources


Myths about saving gas

Fine Living saving gas


CNN Best Fuel Efficient Cars



Get Kentucky Auto Insurance Quotes



A Kentucky insurance agent, Joyce Pinson hates to drive. She is very good at carpooling and planning efficient errand running.   Click for more Kentucky Insurance Consumer Tips.

No comments: