Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Do Independent Agents have a Brand Identity Crisis?

A few "blogs" back, I wrote about branding and queried whether you thought branding was important to insurance agencies. As a Kentucky independent insurance agent, we do not benefit from the national campaigns like lizards or cave men. We even have to battle our own carriers who sell against us on the direct side...all the time telling us how well the independent agents have built their (their being the big insurance company) brand. Ironic isn't it?

So what's in a brand?



Want a good laugh? See our brand ad.




Yesterday, I sat in on a web cast about how consumers use the web. A funny thing. The statistics showed that on Internet click-through mentioning the company brand was not as important as mentioning the product. Consumers do recognize national brands, and if they are "brand-oriented" in that they might be more inclined to do an online quote at a nationally branded site. However, initial searches are based on product.

Some independent agents join clusters and franchises which offer a "brand" of sorts. Our own organization, Independent Insurance Agents of America, charges a fee to use the Trusted Choice brand. But have consumers really heard of Trusted Choice Insurance?

Sam Friedman, over at the P & C National Underwriter blog, opined that perhaps independent insurance agents need an icon.   Sam's blog 
Look at the duck and the lizard. He may be right.

In My Opinion

When the Trusted Choice brand rolled out it was asserted the word "independent" did not test well with consumers, so the Big I logo was put on a back burner in favor of the Trusted Choice Insurance brand.


The "Big I" (Independent Insurance Agents) had a good idea with the Trusted Choice Insurance brand. However, ads to support that brand were chiefly placed in major markets. Mom and Pop agencies in outlying areas did not benefit from any "brand awareness." Truly, when was the last time you saw a Trusted Choice Insurance ad?

Call me "independent" a term I proudly wear. We spent money, time, and energy building our agency brand. I am not always a patient woman, and I just don't have the time to wait for some industry organization to do my branding for me. (I think that's why they call me "independent")

Independent insurance agents need to do a better job of branding and PR. When it comes right down to it, in small town Kentucky, it's still all about the agent...and the agent IS the brand.

Yes, if Big I or a franchise stepped up and really achieved "brand awareness" it would be a great day for all independent insurance agents. Until then, you the agent are in control. Build your brand. Service your clients. Don't take yourself too seriously. Make building a brand a game and have fun doing it.

___

Joyce Pinson  is a Kentucky independent health insurance agent. (That's me) In addition to being an agent, I do marketing and public relations for Charlie Pinson Insurance. The posting above is my opinion, not our agency's. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

No comments: